Keto Cookies to Go

Recently I received four bags of buff bake Cookie Bites to test out and review via the Amazon Vine program. I received two bags of each of the buff bake brand's flavors -- chocolate chip and double chocolate. Guess which one I was most anxious to try out? Before I get to the full sensory evaluation that you all come to The Chocolate Cult for, let me say that I do not follow any keto diet. I'm hypoglycemic so I need complex carbs and sugars in my diet. However, I do test such products with an open mind when we are sent them to review. As always, I have high hopes for every product we are sent particularly when the chocolate used includes multiple ingredients derived from the cocoa bean. This feature article about these products is an unexpected bonus for both buff bake and Amazon; no compensation beyond the free products were received in exchange for my sharing my honest experiences with them.

The first things to note about these products are the ingredients. Both have chocolate chips made of chocolate and cocoa butter; the Double Chocolate variety also has cocoa powder. Both types of cookie bites have almonds, erythritol, stevia, sunflower, palm oil, butter, and eggs if you have allergies or reactions to any of those ingredients. This is a safe product for me, but it would not work for my hubby who is allergic to tree nuts.

The bags are resealable but getting them open was a challenge, the material is quite think and it torn too close to the resealable section on one of the bags. Luckily I could get the contents of both bags into one, which raises the question as to why there is so much empty space in the bags to begin with. There were so crumbs but none of the cookies were broken up in any of the four bags. The individual bites are truly bite-sized at 1 inch across and 1/2 thick. The entire ramekin you see in the photos below is all of the cookie bites in one bag, which is two servings with a total of 280 calories.

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites have different amounts of chocolate chips, but they all had at least one chip and usually 2-3 chips per cookie. They have a light sweet scent with a hint of almond but not of chocolate or cocoa. When I popped one into my mouth,  the flavor was almost entirely sweet (not too sweet) and almond, the only hint of chocolate was when I bit into a chip which was hard. The sweetness built up with each bite so I would not want to eat these quickly, but the chocolate flavor lingered by the end so that was a pleasant surprise. However it is not enough chocolate to entice me to keep eating, so I rinsed out my mouth and tried the second variety. Each cookie was quite crunchy with each chew, but not hard to bite into.

The Double Chocolate Cookie Bites are the same shape and size, but clearly are darker in color. I was hoping for a strong cocoa fragrance but they only had a slight cocoa scent which was disappointing. These were slightly softer than the other variety yet still make a crunch with each bite. The flavor was again sweet but the cocoa powder grew to become equal to it and then turn to the dominant flavor by the time I finished one bite. Interestingly, the almond flavor was also stronger in this cookie whereas I could barely sense it in the other variety. This would tempt me to eat more bites, but I exercised restraint until later because the sweetness was quite powerful, too. Of the two varieties, the Double Chocolate was certainly my favorite. Given the ingredients and my enjoyment, I give this  barely Sacramental status.

>

Comments