Are these Brownies really Awesome!

It is big claim to call your brand "Awesome" so when I got a bag of Awesome Blossom Bakery's Brownie Baking Mix via the Amazon Vine program, I was eager to try them out. I am not following a keto diet nor do I need gluten free foods, but quality brownies, quality any type of chocolate products worth your money need to be meet certain standards here regardless of the dietary needs it is trying to meet. Did this brand's brownie mix meet our standards? Let's find out, but first the legal stuff. I got a free bag of this mix in order to review it on Amazon; this article is a bonus and no additional compensation was received for sharing my experiences with this product with all of you. If you follow any of the links to the product I'm writing about today, I will get a tiny amount of money back from Amazon.

The ingredients as expected for a brownie mix begin with sweeteners, in this case erythritol and monk fruit extract. The flour is almond based so if you have tree nut allergies, but aware of this. The third ingredient is cocoa powder. All of that is sort of expected but then the ingredients got weird with grass-fed beef gelatin powder... okay, so if you are vegan, you might be able to sub for the required eggs, but you can't take this out of the mix. I don't recall seeing an ingredient like this on any other brownie mix I've ever tried; I've tried dozens and dozens of them by now.


I followed the directions but immediately discovered that the brownies required a lot more baking time than the bag suggests. That might be on my oven but it is only a few months old so it should be working just fine, thank you very much. Making it was easy, was simple to mix by hand. The most time consuming part was melting the butter and cutting out parchment paper to line the baking pan... I really hate doing that, by the way.

The brownies didn't rise up at all so I expect these to be on the more fudgy side instead of cakey side of brownies even though it calls for three eggs. More eggs generally result is more cakelike texture for brownies in my experience. Furthermore as the photo will show, the parchment on the bottom greatly affected the bottom of the brownies. I've never seen this before! The lighter color and it was damp... creepy.


How did it taste? Surprisingly better than it looked it would. Only the lighter damp bottom felt odd or tasted weird. However, the amount of cocoa flavor was strongly countered by the almond flour. The result is that I cannot recommend this mix because the results were no awesome for me.


Comments

Anonymous said…
So sorry to hear this. Always looking for good gluten-free chocolate treats but it appears this one doesn't measure up.
I'm disappointed, too. I have use my own ingredient to test out these kits and we don't accept money here on The Chocolate Cult so that everyone who reads our reviews knows we are being completely honest.