The Fragrance of Desserts

 October 14th is National Dessert Day!

You love desserts. I love desserts. We love the look, the scent, the feel, the taste, and the sound desserts, especially chocolate can have. That's one reason we focus on full sensory reviews when we can here on The Chocolate Cult. Let's be real. Too many desserts are not healthy. What if you could enjoy them without calories? Or at least some aspects of the five senses wonderful desserts satisfy. Today I'm going to share the fragrance of desserts as revealed in the Holaway Desserts Fragrance Oils set which I was sent free to review on Amazon via their Vine program. This article is an unexpected bonus for the brand and that website. No other form of compensation was received for sharing my honest experiences today.

Let's look at what is inside the box first.

We have ten vials with oils  neatly packed in plastic foam so it didn't break during shipping nor when I accidentally dropped it one day. The bottles once removed from the protective material should be handled with care not just to keep them from cracking or shattering but also because oils like this can damage skin and clothing. 


As you can see the scents are quite a range: Cherry, Creamy Vanilla, Rainbow Candy, Oatmeal Bread, Blueberry Sauce, Milk Biscuits, Chocolate (the one we care about), Apple Cinnamon, Strawberry, and Sugar Cookies.

Holamay Desserts Fragrance Oils Bottles

The box has instructions on how to store the oils but not on how to use them. Luckily I've used scented and essential oils enough to figure out what to do. You can use these in a water diffuser, you can add a small amount to jewelry designed especially for this, and you could apply it to a small cotton ball or similar material to slowly allow the scent to fill a space without the need for water or electricity. I love using the diffusers in the winter when the humidity is low. For the summer, I prefer cotton balls. While I do have jewelry for this purpose, I don't want folks thinking that I'm a piece of chocolate or strawberry, at least not for the purpose of this review.

Without an easy to read list of ingredients, I cannot confirm that any natural oils were used; I tried several magnifiers in our house to no help in reading the tiny print. I can only go by what they smell like. Let's see if they smell as the names suggest they should. I asked a couple of assistant to help me with a direct test of the fragrances. We sat in a well ventilated space and I opened then closed one bottle at a time, leaving enough time between each test for the scent to dissipate. Each bottle had a difference fragrance though the Sugar Cookie and the Milk Biscuits smelled the most similar. The Chocolate one was disappointing because it had a strong artificial scent to it, making it more like an chocolatey syrup than chocolate itself. That was disappointing because I don't want to have that fragrance in my space where I'm working or trying to relax, though it definitely wouldn't make me hungry either.

In the end, this was a mixed collection of aromatic oils. I can't recommend them particularly because of the weak chocolate option here on The Chocolate Cult.

Comments