Can Low Calorie Be Good Chocolate?

This is a first for me here on The Chocolate Cult. A company reached out to get our feedback on a new product they've developed and sent us a sample to try. I agreed to do with only if I could share my experience with you all here.

The company is called Calowry which is a play on their claim that they have created the world's only low calorie chocolate that still tastes like chocolate. As we know, taste is not all that matters when it comes to chocolate so we put this through our full sensory testing. It looks like four sections of standard chocolate bar that measured 2 X 1.5 X 0.25 inches. It came in a vacuum sealed wrap and the first thing I noticed was that when I used the tab to tear that package open, the section split into two piece easily. 


The scent was cocoa powder quality and quite intense; I got a hint of it just tearing into the package a tiny degree. This was soft to my touch and soft when I took a bite and chewed it, not snap or crunch. The texture reminded me of a thin slice of fudge. That isn't a bad thing, it just was not what I expected. The flavor also reminds me more of a fudge than of a chocolate bar proper, but it is intensely cocoa so it is pleasing.


Since I wasn't asked to give this one of our normal evaluations let me speak directly to both you, my reader, and to Calowry. 

Market this as more a fudge than a chocolate bar. You'll communicate what the experience will be like to the potential consumer this way and free yourself of some charges that this isn't really chocolate.

Comments

Emilie said…
I think that sounds like great advice. It was smart of them to ask for your feedback before they went to market.
I wish the brand would listen to me, but I bet they won't. I imagine their marketing is already set. Thank you for reading and commenting!