The Mold Problem with Natural Foods

This is a rare article on The Chocolate Cult where I flat out tell you not to buy a product. This product, Truvani Organic Vegan Snack Bar was sent to me for free through the Amazon Vine Program; no other form of compensation was sent for that review or this article. Keep reading to learn why you should avoid this product.

I was offered this snack bar and I accepted it because it has cocoa as one of the 9 simple ingredients. I was shocked when I opened it on January 7, 2023, to discover mold on the bar, along the edge and both ends. 


Why shocked? Because the "Use by" date is May 28, 2023, more than five months later.


I'm deeply disappointed in Truvani. While I haven't been thrilled by some other products we've tested from them, none of those products were unsafe. I hope they can figure out what the problem was and fix it. However, this raises a fair point about all natural or no additives products. They do have a shorter lifespan, particularly any of them that might be shipped and therefor go through changes in temperature and humidity which impact the quality, texture, flavor, and safety of any food or beverage.

Comments