50-Count Lindt Truffle Gift Box


The USA's version of Mother's Day is fast approaching and you won't have time to give this gift, but you might find other birthdays or holidays that it could serve, so I'm sharing it with you on the day before that maternal celebration. The Lindt Lindor Variety Box came with 50 truffles in eight varieties – Milk, Almond Butter, Pistachio, White Peppermint, Pecan Butter, Matcha, White Milk, and Dark Chocolate – though not in equal quantities. Once I get the legals out of the way, I'll show you what is inside the box. I was sent this box of truffles for free via the Amazon Vine program for a review of it on that website; no other form of compensation was received for honestly sharing my experiences with this product. This article on The Chocolate Cult is an unexpected bonus for both companies that sent it to me. Following the link will give this page owner money as an Amazon Affiliate but cost you the reader nothing extra.

The first thing to note is that the ribbon you see on the product page did not survive shipping to me at all. It was sad looking and I'd be upset if I sent this to someone and it looked like this, wouldn't you?

Sad Ribbon on 50-Count Lindor Box

Many of these truffles are white chocolate based. I love my MIL, I wouldn't give her white chocolate, but dark chocolate because it is healthier for her and I want her to continue to have a good life. There are three varieties of white chocolate based truffles in this gift box: 7 Peppermint, 3 White Chocolate, and 7 Marcha. That's more than a third of the varieties. I've had the basic white chocolate truffles from Lindor before as well a the Peppermint ones (which I consider more of a winter holiday flavor than for Mother's day or most other holidays), but the Matcha flavor (the green and gold wrapper) was new to me so I gave it a try. Let me remind everyone that I am not a tea lover, so I also had our tea and chocolate acolyte test this out for me, but I feel like I should always try the chocolate, too. The Matcha had a light green sheen to the white chocolate shell and center was a light moss green color. The flavor was subtle so I didn't mind it, but our Tea Acolyte 

The milk chocolate based truffles are probably the most beloved varieties given numerous studies over the years that I've seen. Included in this category as are the 7 Almond Butter, 7 Pistacho, 8 Milk Chocolate, and 7 Pecan Butter. One of my assistants has reviewed the Pistachio before and I have had the Milk Chocolate truffles before. However, the Almond Butter (orange wrapper) and the Pecan Butter (brown wrapper) were both new to me, so I gave them each a try.  The Almond Butter was soft and the same inside as outside, it has a buttery flavor but the almond was almost an afterthought showing up most strongly at the end and not covering up the milk chocolate. The Pecan Butter had as strong pecan scent even before I took a bite of it, it was firmer and there were tiny pieces of something inside of it that had a strong pecan flavor but also a brown sugar essence; all the flavors blended well.

Of the three new-to-me flavors – Almond Butter, Matcha, and Pecan Butter – I enjoyed the Pecan Butter best. Interestingly, my own mother's favorite flavor of candy and ice cream was butter pecan! If she were alive today, I'd try to send her those truffle even if they are milk chocolate based.

That leaves only the blue wrapped Dark Chocolate for the final category of flavors in the box and as you can see in the photo below, there were only 3 of them! They could have included the Extra Dark variety but that isn't included. As a dark chocolate lover, I'm disappointed, but then overall I'm disappointed in the lack of dark chocolate offerings from Lindt/Lindor in general.


Is this worth your gifting? That entirely depends on if the person you want likes and loves the flavors in this box. If you don't know, I'd stick with a more general selection of white, milk, and dark from Lindt/Lindor or buy one truffle of each flavor you can find and make your own gift box. There are 30 flavors of Lindt/Lindor truffles out there, many seasonal, so you could make a sizeable present for the one  you love and learn their preferences at the same time.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for the info. Sounds like a gift I'd like, but its not for everyone!
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. I love that! You are completely correct that this is not a gift that everyone would like. That's part of why we cover chocolate here on this blog, to save you all money and time by checking us out first.