How Close are Fudge and Frosting Really?

May 12th will be National Nutty Fudge Day while June 16th will be National Fudge Day. In honor of both of these, I'm going to look at a junket fudge and frosting mix I received that claims it can be used to make both fudge and frosting. Are those two things really that close? I found out and I'll share the results with you in today's Saturday Sacrament. but let's get the legal matters out of the way. I received two free mixes via the Amazon Vine program in exchange for writing a review on that website; this is an unexpected bonus for which nor other compensation was received. If you do use our links to check it out or buy it, I do get a tiny amount because I am an Amazon Affiliate. 

Since I got two mixes, I tried one of each both ways. First as a frosting then as a fudge. The frosting recipe on the packet is printed in smaller font than the fudge instructions and uses sweetened condensed mix... which you do not spread on a cake, brownies, or even graham crackers but place in a pan to cool as you do for the fudge directions. The frosting was very fudgy and if I'd followed the directions and only put it on one instead of two cakes, it would have been too thick and too hard to cut through easily.


The fudge directions were easy to follow and the results were oddly shaped because you use a loaf pan instead of a square pan to make them. If I made this again, I'd go with the square pan for more uniform pieces. 


In both cases, the fudge and the fudge frosting had a more cocoa powder flavor than a chocolate flavor. The texture was also softer for the fudge then not as fluffy as I love for frosting. Both those sensory qualities were disappointing to me. It was so easy to make, though that it might be good to use for a quicker treat, particularly for fudge which I find difficult to create in my own kitchen.


Comments