Chocolate Milk -- Shamrock Farms

Your Chocolate Priestess will not repeat all of the news stories that have appeared over the past several months that suggest drinking low fat chocolate milk after exercising may have health benefits. I've discussed that issue before. Today, after my own hour of biking I had some "reduced fat" chocolate milk from Shamrock Farms.

Normally I buy Nesquick fat free chocolate milk in a cartoon which lasts for 3-4 glasses depending on the size of the glass. I buy other brands when they are on sale and I have a coupon since over all other brands are less expensive. Plus so far Nesquick is the only brand that I've found in my area that offers a fat free version.

Shamrock Farms version still has a lot of fat -- 5g saturated fat, 35mg cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 600mg potassium, less than 1g fiber, 40g sugar, 13g protein but a lot of vitamins including 45% of the daily recommended calcium 40% vitamin D. The regular version of the product has even more fat per 12oz bottle which equals one serving. I like the product a lot but given the amount of fat and the price I buy it only rarely. One up side is that the bottle says they do not give their cows hormonal treatments so for those of you to whom this is important the cost may be worth it but I have to ask: Is the fat?

So have some low fat or fat free chocolate milk after your exercise and let me know how that makes you feel. Do you think it's helping you stay motivated to keep up your routine? Do you think it helps your physical development? Would you get the same benefits from soy products?

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

If you are reading in the eastern half of the Midwest, don't forget The Chocolate Cult's first CONTEST.

Comments