Gifts, Recalls, and Health Claims, Oh My

Your Chocolate Priestess received a lovely gift from a friend here in The Chocolate Cult -- a sample of chocolates from Aeschbach Chocolatier which is in Switzerland so I hope your can manage some German. I will review this selection later but it is safely stored for now.

There are two health issues that revealed themselves to me today as well that I want to share with you, Sisters and Brothers. First, the FDA has recalled Le Pain Quotidien-brand "Noir Belgian Dark Chocolate Spread" due to a labeling error because it does not list "milk" as an ingredient. Call me insensitive but I just assume most chocolate today have some dairy in them so I can't tell you to not buy this or return it, just use some common sense please.

Secondly, this article claims to reveal that dark chocolate has caffeine. Well, yes, it does, though not nearly as much as tea or coffee. Luckily the article compares it to other caffeine related products so you can see where it stands. My advice is to simply not eat dark chocolate before bedtime. Not just because of caffeine but for the fact that you probably do not need calories of any type before trying to sleep.

Sisters and Brothers, may you too take the time to slowly appreciate what the Divine and human ingenuity have offered you in chocolate.

If you are reading in the eastern half of the Midwest, don't forget The Chocolate Cult's first CONTEST.

Comments