Make National Kit Kat Day Darker


Today November 2nd is National Kit Kat Day. Hopefully you have some Kit Kats you have leftover from Halloween to celebrate with. If you don't, check out today's article to see if you might want to try a darker version of this favorite candy bar. 

We've haven't done a lot with Kit Kat expect for an interview with a song writer who adored them, but before summer started, CVS had this awesome deal to buy some extra large candy bars and get others for free. Taking advantage of my loyalty card to that store, I scored two brands of candy we haven't covered much here on The Chocolate Cult yet.

Kit Kat Dark is a very of the popular milk chocolate covered wafer candy but with a darker chocolate. By darker, I'm guessing around 50% or so because even our white chocolate assistant who hates dark chocolate found these to be unbitter. I think if you let the coating melt in your mouth, it can create a bitter edge, but these certainly only darker not dark chocolate as I love it, but I did find that I liked these better than the traditional Kit Kat simply because it was slightly darker in chocolate flavor and therefore less sweet.


The coating still has that sort of waxy feel to it which isn't surprising when you check out the ingredients above. Note it has cocoa butter, palm kernel oil and palm oil. This along with sugar as the first ingredient puts this treat firmly in the candy versus chocolate category.

However because it does include chocolate, cocoa butter, and cocoa processed with alkali, it qualifies to be covered by this blog. Do I with this was without the added oils? Of course. I think that would be better for us and for the environment for us to live in, but it would also make a product like this cost a lot more. 


Three pieces equal one serving so this XL bar has four servings in it or the equivalent of three regular Kit Kats. For a freebie I got, that's a great deal. Would I buy them again? Probably not. I didn't find that the darkness was dark enough for my love and while I'll eat a Kit Kat, it isn't in my top candy bar list though my family loves them a lot. More for them and more for me of some other candy types.

If you've had Kit Kat Dark I've love to read your opinion of them, so please leave a comment.

Comments